http://www.swami-center.org/en/text/Juan_Matus.html

"I have no personal history. One day I found out that it is no longer necessary for me and, like drinking, I dropped it. If you have no personal history, no explanations are needed; nobody is angry or disillusioned with your acts. And above all no one pins you down with their thoughts."

Also, don Juan taught to destroy stiff patterns of material life, as for instance, strict observance of one’s routines. For what purpose? In order to attain freedom. The destruction of unreasonable patterns of behavior, thinking, and reacting, instilled in us in the process of our upbringing, must result in the “loss of the human form”, that is, in attaining the state when we learn to act not according to our reflexes or because it is customary to act so, but in accordance with advisability. The “loss of the human form” is not a short-term mechanic action, as some disciples of don Juan fantasized, but a prolonged process, accompanying the man’s gradual approaching God. This process comes to an end when the seeker learns to look at all situations with the eyes of the Creator.

But attaining the “loss of the human form” does not mean that man starts to behave “not like everyone else” in the society, because, first, inevitable conflicts with other people would prevent him from fulfilling his main duty. Second, the conduct, which is “defiant” by form, in many cases turns out to be a breach of the basic laws of objective ethics — the non-harming of other living beings. This is why disciples were prescribed to observe conventional norms of behavior, sometimes secretly ridiculing them and resorting to the so-called “controlled folly”.

To illustrate this, don Juan once astounded Castaneda by taking off his usual Indian garment and putting on an immaculate modern suit for his trip to the town!

Once don Juan assembled the disciples, took a sack and put into it a radio, a tape recorder, and several other things that he found in the house of one of the disciples. Then he gave this sack to one disciple to carry, gave a table to another disciple to carry, and took them to the mountains. In the middle of a valley, he told them to put the table down and emptied the contents of the sack onto it. Then he took the disciples at some distance from the table and asked them what they see?

They told that they see a radio … and so on and so forth…

Then don Juan came to the table and whisked everything off it. “Take another look and tell me what do you see now?”, he said. Only then the disciples understood don Juan: he wanted them to see not only the things on the table, but the table itself and more — the space around the table. But the things on the table prevented disciples from seeing this by drawing the attention to themselves